There may be a number of reasons why you might want to download macOS without using the App Store. For example, you may be using a computer that doesn’t have an internet connection, or you may be trying to avoid using data when downloading the update. Whatever the reason, there are a few different ways that you can download macOS without using the App Store.
One way to download macOS without using the App Store is to use the “direct download” links that are available from Apple. These links allow you to download the full installer for macOS, which can then be used to install the operating system on your Mac. However, these links are only available for a limited time after each new release of macOS, so you may not be able to use them if you’re trying to download an older version of the operating system.
Is It Safe to Download macOS Installer without Mac App Store?
There are a few risks associated with downloading the macOS installer from sources other than the Mac App Store, but overall it is safe to do so. The biggest risk is that the file may be corrupted or contain malicious code, which could potentially damage your system. There is also a small chance that the file may not be the official Apple release, which could cause compatibility issues. Overall, the risks are relatively low, but it is always best to exercise caution when downloading any type of file from the internet.
However, the main reason why downloading the macOS installer from the Mac App Store is recommended is because it is the only way to ensure that you are getting the official Apple release. This is important because the macOS installer contains important system files that could be incompatible with third-party versions. Additionally, the Mac App Store is the only way to guarantee that you are receiving a safe and secure file that has not been tampered with.
How to Download Mac Full Installer from Mac App Store?
Assuming you have a Mac with a compatible processor and enough free storage space, you can download macOS directly from the Mac App Store. Here’s how:
1. Open the Mac App Store from the Dock, Launchpad, or your Applications folder.
2. If you’ve never used the Mac App Store before, you’ll be prompted to enter your Apple ID and password.
3. Once you’re signed in, type “macOS” into the search field at the top right corner of the window.
4. Select the macOS Catalina or Mojave installer in the search results.
5. Click the “Get” or “Download” button, then enter your password again when prompted.
6. The installer will download to your Applications folder.
7. When the download is finished, open the installer and follow the on-screen instructions.
How to Download macOS Monterey without Mac App Store?
Option 1. Download macOS Monterey from Apple’s website
You can download macOS Monterey from Apple’s website without using the Mac App Store. This can be useful if you want to install the latest version of macOS on a Mac that doesn’t have the App Store, or if you want to create a bootable installer on a USB drive or disk.
Here’s how to download macOS Monterey from Apple’s website:
1. Go to Apple’s website and click on the “Download” button for macOS Monterey.
2. On the next page, select the “Download Installer” button.
3. A file named “Install macOS Monterey.app” will download to your computer.
4. Double-click on the “Install macOS Monterey.app” file to launch the installer.
5. Follow the prompts to install macOS Monterey on your computer.
However, there are some drawbacks to downloading macOS Monterey from Apple’s website. First, the file is large (over 8 GB), so it may take a while to download, depending on your Internet connection. Second, you can only install macOS Monterey on a Mac that is compatible with the operating system. So, if you’re trying to install macOS Monterey on an older Mac, it may not work.
Still, downloading macOS Monterey from Apple’s website is a good option if you want to install the latest version of the operating system on a compatible Mac. What’s more, the direct link is not always reliable as Apple may change the URL at any time. If the URL changes, the download will no longer work.
Option 2. Use A Third-party Website:
There are a few ways to download macOS Monterey without using the Mac App Store. One way is to use a third-party website, such as MacRumors or AppleInsider, that offers the installer for download. But
Before you download macOS Monterey from a third-party site, make sure the site is reputable and that the installer is from a legitimate source. Once you’ve downloaded the installer, double-check that it’s not corrupted by verifying the checksum.
Here’s how to do that:
1. Download the macOS Monterey installer from a reputable site.
2. Once the download is complete, open Terminal and navigate to the location of the installer.
3. Use the following command to calculate the checksum of the installer:
shasum -a 256 /path/to/installer
4. Compare the checksum to the one listed on the site where you downloaded the installer. If they match, the installer is not corrupted.
5. Double-click the installer to begin the installation process.
Option 3. Use Recovery Mode
If you want to install macOS Monterey without using the Mac App Store, you can do so by using recovery mode. This will allow you to download the installer directly from Apple’s servers.
There are a few pros and cons to using this method. First, the pro is that it is the official way to get the installer. This means that you will always have the latest version of macOS Monterey. The con is that it requires you to have a stable internet connection.
1. Restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold Command (⌘)-R.
2. The macOS Utilities window appears.
3. From the Utilities menu, select Reinstall macOS.
4. Click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.
5. When the installation is complete, you can restart your Mac from the hard drive or use Startup Disk preferences to select the startup disk that contains the new installation.
How to Make A Bootable macOS Installer Offline?
Option 1. Use Terminal:
It is possible to make a bootable macOS installer offline, but it requires some technical expertise and careful planning. Here are the basic steps. After the macOS was downloaded, you need to burn macOS into USB drive to make it bootable.
What You need:
- A USB flash drive (at least 8 GB)
- A copy of the macOS installer (in a .dmg file)
- A way to access the Terminal application (in /Applications/Utilities/)
Once you have all of these items, you can begin the process of making a bootable macOS installer offline.
1. Connect the USB flash drive to your computer and open the Terminal application.
2. Type the following command into the Terminal, replacing “YourVolume” with the name of your USB flash drive, and press Enter. This will erase everything on the drive, so make sure you don’t have any important files on it.
sudo diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ YourVolume MBRFormat /dev/disk2
3. Type the following command into the Terminal and press Enter. This will mount the installer image (which is a .dmg file) so that it can be accessed.
sudo hdiutil attach /path/to/installer.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app
4. Type the following command into the Terminal and press Enter. This will copy the installer files to the USB flash drive.
sudo asr -source /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/YourVolume -erase -format HFS+
5. Once the copy process is finished, type the following command into the Terminal and press Enter. This will unmount the installer image.
sudo hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_app
6. Type the following command into the Terminal and press Enter. This will unmount the USB flash drive.
sudo diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2
Your USB flash drive is now ready to be used as a bootable macOS installer. To use it, simply connect it to a Mac and boot from it by holding down the Option key while the Mac is booting.
Option 2. Use SYSGeeker UltraDMG
Alternatively, you can use a tool like UltraDMG to create a bootable macOS installer offline. UltraDMG is a graphical user interface (GUI) tool that makes it easy to create bootable DMG files.
1. Download and install UltraDMG.
2. Launch UltraDMG and click the “Create Bootable DMG” button.
3. In the “Source” field, select the macOS installer image (in a .dmg file).
4. In the “Destination” field, select the USB flash drive.
5. In the “Volume Name” field, enter a name for the bootable volume.
6. Select the “Format as HFS+” option.
7. Click the “Create” button.
UltraDMG will now create a bootable DMG file on the USB flash drive. To use it, simply connect it to a Mac and boot from it by holding down the Option key while the Mac is booting. We advice you to use the Terminal method as it is the official way to make a bootable macOS installer offline. However, if you’re not comfortable using the command line, UltraDMG is a good alternative.
Creating a bootable macOS installer offline is a good way to ensure that you have a working copy of the installer in case you need it. It’s also a good way to save data if you’re on a limited data plan. And it can be useful if you want to install macOS on a Mac that doesn’t have the App Store.
If you want to download macOS without Mac App Store, we don’t recommend it as it’s not as safe. The best way to download macOS is through Mac App Store.